Successful completion of this course will provide participants with the knowledge and skills to be able to develop an asthma management plan and provide asthma related first aid interventions in the workplace.
The course covers the correct use of reliever medication, recognition, risk management, prevention and risk minimisation strategies related to asthma.
Individuals completing this course will be able to apply their skills and knowledge in either the workplace or in the community.
** There are specific industries that require additional training such as childcare workers, school teachers and other related industries.
Important information prior to enrolment
Unit Being Delivered
The following unit(s) will be awarded to successful participants in this course. The certificate will be issued by Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909.
- 22556VIC Course in the management of asthma risks and emergencies in the workplace
This course will be delivered:
- In the workplace or at a Mid Coast First Aid and Safety Training sourced facility
- Online learning with face to face assessment
Participants must have the physical fitness to be able to meet the demands of the practical demonstration such as assisting a casualty into the correct position and administering asthma medication.
Course Duration (face to face)
- Face to Face – 3 hours (minimum) – full face to face course
- Blended delivery – 2 hours (minimum) face to face course – with the addition of 1-hour self-paced learning to be completed prior to attending the face to face course
- Online delivery with face to face Practical assessment – self paced online learning with a scheduled 20-minute face to face practical assessment
- Refresher training – 2 hours (minimum) – conditions apply for this option, for example, you will need to provide previous current certificates.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks. These are detailed in the sections following.
Certificate Renewal Requirements
Currency and refresher training requirements: This course provide competency in asthma related first aid interventions in the workplace. Requirements for first aid competencies, including refresher training, are dependent on both the state/territory jurisdiction as well as the industry sector. Refresher training and currency of first aid knowledge and skills is to be demonstrated in line with Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) Guidelines (http://www.resus.org.au/), Guidelines of Australian national peak clinical bodies, Relevant industry regulations, and State/territory legislation and regulations.
*A certificate renewal date of 3 years will appear on the certificate. Due to industry requirements, first aid workers need to be able to demonstrate current competency every 36 months.
Course Fees and Payments
- Please refer to our booking calendar for individual course fees.
- Refund and fee protection policy – Please refer to the student handbook.
- Payment Terms – Payment for individual participants is upfront, group booking payment terms are based on agreement between the client and service provider.
Work Placement Arrangements
No work placement will be required as part of this course.
Learners Rights, Responsibilities and Support, including Complaints
Please note that enrolment to this course is made with Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909. Please refer to the student handbook located on the RTO website allenstraining.com.au for all details relating to rights and responsibilities including complaints and appeals.
What happens at the course?
Delivery of course information and learning activities.
Assessments conducted during face-to-face training session(s) include:
- Practical task demonstrations:
- Simulated Scenario – Administer asthma medication (with spacer) using a personal asthma action plan
- Performance Task – Administer asthma medication without a spacer
- Documentation – The student must complete the following to the appropriate standard:
- Asthma Incident Report Form
- Asthma Risk Assessment Form
- Individual Management Plan
- Theory assessment – A written exam consisting of multiple choice and short answer questions. All questions must be completed..